Associate Professor, Medicine
Division Director, CIMS
Eric Howell, M.D., earned degrees in science and medicine at the University of Maryland. He completed a residency in internal medicine at the Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, serving for one year as chief resident.
Dr. Howell joined CIMS in 2000 and, just after that, became chief of the Zieve Medical Units at Johns Hopkins Bayview. Since then, while maintaining his role as chief of the Zieve Medical Units, he has led CIMS to grow exponentially in staff and in academic caliber.
Through his service on numerous committees at Johns Hopkins Bayview, as well as other Johns Hopkins institutions, and his dedication to teaching bi-weekly lectures to medical students and the Professorship in the Colleges Advisory Program, Dr. Howell continues to demonstrate his commitment to excellence. In 2006, he was awarded the prestigious Professors Award for Teaching Excellence for his many contributions to education at Hopkins.
- Howell E, Bessman E, Kravet S, Kolodner K, Marshall R, Wright S. Active bed management by hospitalists and emergency department throughput. Ann Intern Med. 2008 Dec 2;149(11):804-11.
- Kravet SJ, Howell E, Wright SM. Morbidity and mortality conference, grand rounds, and the ACGME's core competencies. J Gen Intern Med. 2006;21(11):1192-4.
- Symons JM, Wang L, Guallar E, Howell E, Dominici F, Ange BA, Samet J, Ondoy J, Harrison D, Geyth A. A case-crossover study of fine particulate matter air pollution and congestive heart failure symptom onset leading to hospitalization. Am J Epidemiol. 2006;164:421-33.
- Henrickson C, Howell E, Bush D, Chandra-Strobos N. Female sex: a protective role in suspected myocardial ischemia. Coron Artery Dis. 2006;17(2):153-8.
- Howell EE, Wright SM, Bush DE, Chandra-Strobos N, Henrikson CA. Insufficient treatment of hypercholesterolemia among patients hospitalized with chest pain. Clin Cardiol 2006;29:259-62.
- Ratanawongsa N, Bolen S, Howell EE, Kern DE, Sisson SD, Larriviere D. Residents' perceptions of professionalism in training and practice: barriers, promoters and duty hour requirements. J Gen Intern Med 2006; 21:758-63.
- Howell E, Bessman E, Rubin H. Hospitalists and an innovative emergency department admission process, Journal of General Internal Medicine 2004; 19:266-8.
- Henrikson C, Howell E, Bush D, Miles J, Meininger G, Chandra-Strobos N. Prognostic usefulness of marginal troponin T elevation. American Journal of Cardiology 2004; 93:275-9.
- Howell, E. The hospitalist as triage officer: The Johns Hopkins Bayview experience. The Society of Hospital Medicine’s: The Hospitalist. May/June 2004.
- Henrikson C, Howell E, Bush D, Miles J, Meininger G, Chandra-Strobos N. Chest pain relief by nitroglycerin does not predict active coronary artery disease, Annals of Internal Medicine 2003; 139:979-86.
- Howell, E. Bathon J. A case of post-streptococcal reactive arthritis. Maryland Medical Journal 1999;48:292-4.