Selected Educational Programs
Book-smart doctors can lack emotional intelligence. Some may appreciate patients' worries and fears; others might not be able to fathom how a disease affects patients' daily lives. There are even brilliant physicians who ignore their own emotions and biases without realizing it. The Osler Center develops and partners with programs that train physicians at all levels to heighten their awareness.
- A program has been developed to teach all Johns Hopkins medical students to blend communications skills, clinical reasoning and joint decision making in treating patients.
- A collaborative program involving Johns Hopkins Writing Seminars faculty and School of Medicine faculty has been developed to teach medical students writing and reflections skills related to doctor-patient relationships.
- One group of internal medicine residents takes a one-month, in-depth course on communication skills and the psychosocial problems their patients are likely to encounter.
- In an evening continuing education program, practicing physicians learned communication skills for addressing patients' concerns and feelings. Program evaluation showed improvements in their performance and their patients' health.
- A curriculum on managing patients with substance abuse disorders has been developed for internal medicine residents.
- A curriculum on leadership has been developed for medical students.
- The Healer’s Art elective has been made available to Hopkins medical students: a curriculum designed to help medical students identify, strengthen and cultivate the human dimensions of medical practice.
- A curriculum on the collaborative longitudinal management on complex outpatients with multiple problems is being developed for medical students, nursing students and residents, and nurse practitioner students.
- An internet based residency curriculum in ambulatory medicine that serves over 130 teaching hospitals.
In every case -- from early training to office practice -- the Osler Center demonstrates how physicians can learn from clinical experience to enhance their own personal and professional growth, improve their relationships with patients and families, and improve care.
The Osler Center for Clinical Excellence at Johns Hopkins is proud to announce funding of the following grants:
- Bridging the Postpartum Gap: Mommy and Me Transitional Care
Wendy Bennett, M.D., MPH; Sarah Polk, M.D., SCM; Shari Lawson, M.D.; Laura Hanyok, M.D.; Heather Agee, M.D.
- The Transitions of Care Curriculum. A project to implement and evaluate the Transitions of Care Curriculum to improve the quality of resident physician education and enhance the safety of care transitions for patients admitted to Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Colleen Christmas, M.D.; Nassery Najlla, M.D., MPH; Justin Lafreniere, M.D.; Evelyn Gatecha, M.D.; Nancy Schoenborn, M.D.; Fatima Sheikh, M.D.
- Advancing Teaching and Coaching of Learners in the Ambulatory Setting: Developing and Implementing a Validated Observation Tool to Evaluate Ambulatory Teaching
Laura Hanyok, M.D.
- Expanding Communities of Care: A Medical-Religious Participatory Approach to Training Lay Health Advocates as Informal Caregivers
Rebeca Rios, Ph.D.; W. Daniel Hale, Ph.D.; Panagis Galatsatos, M.D.; Lisa A. Cooper, M.D., MPH
- Development of On-Line Geriatric Psychiatry Curriculum for Medical Students
Rebeca Rios, Ph.D.; Susan Lehmann, M.D.; Patrick Hemming, M.D.
- Faculty Scholar and Project Award: Primary Care and Health Status of Buprenorphine-Maintained Individuals in Office-Based Treatment – Developing a Prospective Cohort
Amina Chaudhry, M.D., MPH (with Michael Fingerhood, M.D.; Richard Moore, M.D., MHS; Eric Strain, M.D.)
- Faculty Scholar and Project Award: Influence of Hospital Environment, Provider and Patient Related Factors on Patient Satisfaction
Zishan Siddiqui, M.D. (with Daniel Brotman, Albert Wu, Shalini Chandra, M.D.)
- With New Duty Hour Restrictions, What Gets Squeezed Out of Residency: A time-motion study of patient care by residents following 2011 work hour restrictions
Lauren Block, M.D.; Sanjay Desai, M.D.; Lenny Feldman, M.D.; Albert Wu, M.D., MPH
- The Use of Social Media to Promote Medical Humanism and Professionalism
Tabor Flickinger, M.D., MPH; Patricia A. Thomas, M.D.; Margaret S. Chisolm, M.D.
- Measuring Patient Satisfaction with Hospitalist’s Care: Development and Validation of the Tool to Assess Inpatient Satisfaction with Care from Hospitalists (TAISCH)
Haruka Torok, M.D.; Zishan Siddiqui, M.D.; Sharon Ghazarian, Ph.D.; Scott Wright, M.D.
- Faculty Scholar and Project Award: Enhancing the Medical School Learning Environment: Impact of Longitudinal Student-Faculty Advising Relationships within Learning Communities on Students’ Humanistic Attitudes and Professional Development
Robert Shochet, M.D.
- Empirical Study of Student Responses to the Implicit Association Test (IAT) as an Educational Method to Raise Self-Awareness if Implicit Racial Bias
April S. Fitzgerald, M.D.; Mary Catherine Beach, M.D., MPH
- Understanding the Relationship of Social Capital and Obesity in an Urban Housing Complex
Kimberly A. Gudzune, M.D., MPH; J. Hunter Young, M.D., MHS; Craig Pollack, M.D., MHS, MA
- Bayview Patient Connection: A pilot project to implement and evaluate an ambulatory intensive care experience for high utilizing Medicaid patients in an internal medicine residency continuity clinic
Laura Hanyok, M.D.; Marc Larochelle, M.D.; Melissa Dattalo, M.D., MPH; Huy Do, D.O.; Fernanda Porto Carreiro, M.D.; Sean Tackett, M.D.; Ryan Childers, M.D.; Wendy Bennett, M.D., MPH
- Faculty Scholar and Project Award: Study of Patient-Provider Communication During Hospitalization
Zackary Berger, M.D., Ph.D.
- Faculty Scholar and Project Award: Needs Assessment for a Curriculum on Prison Medicine and Re-Entry for an Urban Health Residency
Jennifer Bracey, M.D. (with Romsai Boonyasai, M.D., MPH, Scott Wright, M.D. and Karran Phillips, M.D., M.Sc.)
- Faculty Scholar and Project Award: Conceptualization, Design, Implementation, Evaluation and Dissemination of a Curriculum in Integrative Medicine Taught Jointly to School of Medicine and School of Nursing Students
Anastasia Rowland-Seymour, M.D. (with Carol Libonati, MS, RN, Padmini Ranasinghe, M.D., MPH)
- Understanding of the Role of the Primary Care Provider and the Patient-Provider Relationship in the “Practice-Based Opportunities for Weight Reduction (POWER)" Trial
Wendy Bennett, M.D., MPH, Jeanne Clark, M.D., MPH, David Levine, M.D., Sc.D., MPH, Lawrence Appel, M.D., MPH
- Perspectives on Treatment Adherence among HIV Positive Individuals with Medical Comorbidities
Anne Monroe, M.D., MSPH, Richard Moore, M.D., MHS
- Community Snapshot Curriculum for an Urban Health Residency
Rosalyn Stewart, M.D., MS, MBA, Leonard Feldman, M.D., Chris Gibbons, M.D., MPH
- Patient-as-Teacher in the Internal Medicine Clinic: Perceptions of their Contributions to Resident Education
Leah Wolfe, M.D., Edith Vargo, M.D., L. Randol Barker, M.D., Sc.M.
- A Study to Understand How Responsibility and Information are Transferred in Hospital Hand-Offs
Romsai T. Boonyasai, M.D., MPH; Scott M. Wright, M.D.; and Albert W. Wu, M.D., MPH
- A Question Of Empathy: Do Students’ Communication Behaviors Differ When Interacting With Real Patients Versus Standardized Patients?
Sarah L. Clever, M.D., MS; Joseph Cofrancesco, Jr., M.D., MPH; and Debra Roter, Ph.D.
- Developing A Leadership Curriculum For Medical Students
April Fitzgerald, M.D.; David Levine, M.D.; Bimal Ashar, M.D., MBA; Redonda Miller M.D., MBA; Elizabeth Catherwood, BS; and Hsin-Chieh (Jessica) Yeh, Ph.D.
- Perspectives Of South Asians Living In The U.S. On End-Of-Life Medical Care
Rashmi Kumar M.D., MHS; and Joseph Carrese M.D., MPH
- The Johns Hopkins Urban Medicine and Pediatrics Primary Care Leadership Training Program: Program Development Support
Rosalyn Stewart, M.D., MS, MBA; Leonard Feldman, M.D.; Myron Weisfeldt M.D.; George Dover, M.D.; Julia A. McMillan, M.D.; Charles M. Wiener, M.D.; Randy Barker, M.D.; and Steve Sisson, M.D.
2008-2012: Daniels Initiative
- A Multi-Year Project Funded by the Daniels Family to Create Collaborative Nursing and Medical Training to Improve the Collaborative Longitudinal Outpatient Care of Patients with Multiple Medical Problems
L. Randol Barker, M.D., Sc.M.; Kathleen Becker, DNP, CRNP; Karan Cole, Sc.D; Laura Hanyok, M.D.; Rosalyn Steward, M.D., Elizabeth Tanner, PhD, RN; Benita Walton-Moss, Ph.D., RN
- Development of a Brief Video to Impact Clinician Respect and Empathy Toward Patients with Sickle Cell Disease
Mary Catherine Beach, M.D., MPH; Neda Ratanawongsa, M.D., MPH, Sophie Lanzkron, M.D.; Mark T. Hughes, M.D., MA; Rochelle V. Brown, M.D., MS
- Building Relationships in HIV Care: The Role of Emotional Dialogue
Mary Catherine Beach, M.D., MPH; Richard D. Moore, M.D., MHS; Debra L. Roter, Dr.P.H.; Gail V. Berkenblit, M.D., Ph.D.
- Substance Use Disorders For The Internist: A Curriculum for Internal Medicine Residents and Faculty
Amina Chaudhry, M.D., MPH, Edith Vargo, M.D.
- Utilizing Audit and Feedback to Improve Hospitalists' Performance in Tobacco Dependence Counseling
Flora Kisuule, M.D., MPH; Scott Wright, M.D.
- Practicing Empathy: A Reflective Writing Seminar
Rachel Levine, M.D., MPH; Wayne Biddle; Eric Bass, M.D., MPH
- Increasing Our Understanding of Philanthropy to Academic Medicine
Scott Wright, M.D.; Rosalyn Stewart, M.D.; Leah Wolfe, M.D.; Richard Paisner; John A. Flynn, M.D., MBA; Heidi Minken; Joe Carrese, M.D., MPH
- Qualitative Study Exploring Female Physicians’ Decisions to Leave Academia
Fenny Lin, M.D., Joseph A. Carrese, M.D., MPH, David E. Kern, M.D., MPH, Rachel B. Levine, M.D., MPH, Scott M. Wright, M.D.
- Patients in Recovery (PIR): an Interactive Approach to Substance Dependence Education for Medical Students
Karran A. Phillips, M.D., M.Sc., Amina Chaudhry, M.D., MPH, Alexander Y. Walley, M.D., Eric B. Bass, M.D., MPH
- Clopidogrel Adherence and Stent Choice in the Application of Drug-Eluting Stents (CASCADES)
Neda Ratanawongsa, M.D., MPH, Jeffrey M. Zimmet, M.D., Ph.D., Neil R. Powe, M.D., MPH, MBA
- Measuring the Impact of an Advising Template for Medical Students
Rosalyn Stewart, M.D., MS, Bimal Ashar, M.D., MBA, Sara Clever, M.D., Rachel Levine, M.D., MPH, Barry Solomon, M.D.
- Measuring the Healer's Art: Short-term Outcomes of a Curriculum to Help Medical Students Identify, Strengthen and Cultivate the Human Dimensions of the Practice of Medicine
Sarah L. Clever, M.D., MS; Gail Geller, Sc.D.
- A Study to Develop and Validate the SPIKES Mini-CEX: a Tool for Assessing Giving Bad News
Mark Hughes, M.D.; Craig Bowen, Ph.D.; Danielle Doberman, M.D.; Grace Cordts, M.D., MPH, Rosemarie Maraj, M.D.; Patricia Thomas, M.D.; Rose Zaeske, BA
- Medical Student Satisfaction with a Formalized College Advisory Program
Rachel B. Levine, M.D., MPH; Bimal Ashar, M.D., MBA; Robert Shochet, M.D.; Rosalyn Stewart, M.D.; Scott M. Wright, M.D.
- Challenges and Rewards in Provider-Patient Relationships
Neda Ratanawongsa, M.D.; Joseph A. Carrese, M.D., MPH; Scott M. Wright
- The Johns Hopkins Medical Writing Seminars: A Pilot Writing Program for Promoting a Humanistic Approach to Medicine
Monique Aurora Tello, M.D.; Wayne Biddle; Eric B. Bass, M.D., MPH; Sarah Clever, M.D., MS; Rachel B. Levine, M.D., MPH
- Effects on Older Patients of the Closure of a Medical Clinic to Their Community
Scott Wright, M.D.; Mary Anne Nidiry, M.D.; Aysegul Gozu, M.D., MPH
- Enhancing Resident Communication Skills in HIV Prevention: Pilot of Web-Based Video Glossary
Gail V. Berkenblit, M.D., Ph.D.; Josseph Cofrancesco, Jr., M.D., M.P.H., Susan Larson, M.S.; Darius Rastegar, M.D.; Debra Roter, Dr. P.H.,
- The Healer's Art: A Curriculum to Help Medical Students Identify, Strengthen and Cultivate the Human Dimensions of the Practice of Medicine
Sarah L. Clever, M.D., M.S.; Gail Geller, Sc.D., Charlie Wiener, M.D.
- A Pilot Study of Educational Interventions to Assess and Address Resident Knowledge, Attitudes and Skills of Clinical Informed Consent
Mark T. Hughes, M.D., M.A.; Ruth M. Farrell, M.D., M.A.; Jon C. Tilburt, M.D.; Joseph A. Carrese, M.D., M.P.H.; Jeremy Sugarman, M.D., M.P.H.
- Patient-Centered Communication Skills among Second Year Medical Students
Eboni G. Price, M.D., M.P.H.; Lisa A. Cooper, M.D., M.P.H.; Donna M. Windish, M.D., M.P.H.; Jeffrey Magaziner, M.D.
- A Qualitative Study of Resident Well-Being
Neda Ratanawongsa, M.D.; Joseph Carrese, M.D., M.P.H.; Scott Wright, M.D.
Selected Publications By Center Faculty* And Fellows*
One measure of influence nationally and internationally is publications. Center / Division faculty, fellows and grantees also give innumerable talks, workshops and courses for other professionals at regional, national and international professional meetings and in the Johns Hopkins Faculty Development Program for medical educators (www.hopkinsbayview.org/fdp). These are all forms of dissemination of work related to the mission of the Osler Center.
Articles that are the Products of Osler Center Grants:
- Windish D.M, Price E.G, Clever S.L, Magaziner J.L, Thomas P.A. Teaching medical students the important connection between communication and clinical reasoning. J Gen Intern Med. 2005;20:1108-13.
- Ratanawongsa N., Wright, S.M., Carrese J.A. Well-being during residency: a time for temporary imbalance? Medical Education 2007; 41:273-80.
- Shapiro A.E. An uneasy understanding. Ann Intern Med. 2007;147:811-2. (Student product of reflective writing seminar)
- Nidiry MA, Gozu A, Carrese JA, Wright SM. The Closure of a Medical Practice Forces Older Patients to Make Difficult Decisions: A Qualitative Study of a Natural Experiment. J Gen Intern Med. 2008;23:1576-80.
- Price E.G., Windish D.M., Magaziner J.L., Cooper L.A. Assessing validity of standardized patient ratings of medical students' communication behavior using the Roter interaction analysis system. Patient Educ Couns. 2008;70:3-9.
- Ratanawongsa N., Wright S.M., Carrese J.A. Well-being during residency: effects on patient relationships, colleague interactions, performance, and motivation. Patient Educ Couns. 2008;72:194–200.
- Gozu A, Nidiry MA, Ratanawongsa N, Carrese JA, Wright SM. Patient factors associated with following a relocated primary care provider among older adults. Am J Manag Care. 2009;15(3):195-200.
- Haywood C Jr, Lanzkron S, Hughes MT, Brown R, Massa M, Ratanawongsa N, Beach MC. A Video-Intervention to Improve Clinician Attitudes Toward Patients with Sickle Cell Disease: The Results of a Randomized Experiment. J Gen Intern Med. 2010 Dec 23. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kinsman H, Roter D, Berkenblit G, Saha S, Korthuis PT, Wilson I, Eggly S, Sankar A, Sahrp V, Cohn J, Moore RD, Beach MC. "We'll do this together": the role of the first person plural in fostering partnership in patient-physician relationships. J Gen Intern Med. 2010 Mar;25(3):186-93.
- Kisuule F, Necochea A, Howe EE, Wright S. Utilizing audit and feedback to improve hospitalists’ performance in tobacco dependence counseling. Nicotine Tob Res. 2010 Aug;12(8):797-800.
- Phillips KA, Cofrancesco J Jr, Sisson S, Wu AW, Bass EB, Berkenblit G. A multicenter study of internal medicine residents' perceptions of training, competence, and performance in outpatient HIV care. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2010 Mar;24(3):159-64. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ratanawongsa N, Wright SM, Vargo EM, Carrese JA. Challenges in primary care relationships: Seeing it from both sides. Patient Educ Couns. 2010 Sep 7.
- Levine RB, Lin F, Kern DE, Wright SM, Carrese JA. Stories from early-career women physicians who have left academic medicine: a qualitative study at a single institution. Acad Med. Accepted.
Selected Other Publications by Osler Center/ GIM Division Faculty & Fellows
- Kern DE, Thomas PA, Hughes MT, eds. Curriculum Development for Medical Education: A Six-Step Approach. 2nd ed. Baltimore (MD): Johns Hopkins University Press; 2009. The first edition was published Japanese in 2003 and in Chinese in 2005.
This has become the standard reference for curriculum development in medical education. A fundamental premise is connecting educational programs to the needs of patients and society.
- Fiebach NH, Kern DE, Thomas PA, Ziegelstein RC, editors. Barker, Burton, and Zieve’s Principles of Ambulatory Medicine. 7th ed. Philadelphia (PA): Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2007.
The leading paper text on outpatient primary care.
- Flynn JA, ed. Oxford American Handbook of Clinical Medicine. Oxford ;New York: Oxford University Press, 2007.
Highly reviewed handbook of clinical medicine.
- Gross RJ, Caputo GM, eds. Medical Consultation: The Internist on Surgical, Obstetric, and Psychiatric Services, 3rd ed. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins; 1998.
- Rastegar DA, Fingerhood MI, eds. Addiction Medicine: An Evidence-Based Handbook. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins,: 2005.
- Ryden J, Blumenthal PD, eds. Practical Gynecology: A Guide for the Primary Care Physician. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Am College of Physicians; 2009.
- Barker LR. Ambulatory care: territory and proficiencies. In Fiebach NH, Kern DE, Thomas PA, Ziegelstein RC, editors. Barker, Burton, and Zieve’s Principles of Ambulatory Medicine. 7th ed. Philadelphia (PA): Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2007, p.3-13.
- Rastegar SM. Practicing evidence-based medicine in the ambulatory care setting. In Fiebach NH, Kern DE, Thomas PA, Ziegelstein RC, editors. Barker, Burton, and Zieve’s Principles of Ambulatory Medicine. 7th ed. Philadelphia (PA): Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2007, p.13-25.
- Barker LR. The pracitioner-patient relationship and communication during clinical encounters. In Fiebach NH, Kern DE, Thomas PA, Ziegelstein RC, editors. Barker, Burton, and Zieve’s Principles of Ambulatory Medicine. 7th ed. Philadelphia (PA): Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2007, p.13-25.
- Barker LR. The practitioner-patient relationship and communication during clinical encounters. In Barker LR, Burton JR, Zieve PD, Fiebach NH, Kern DE, Thomas PA, Ziegelstein RC, editors. Principles of Ambulatory Medicine. 6th ed. Philadelphia (PA): Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2003, p.25-38.
- Cole KA, Kern DE. Patient education and the promotion of healthy behaviors. In Fiebach NH, Kern DE, Thomas PA, Ziegelstein RC, editors. Barker, Burton, and Zieve’s Principles of Ambulatory Medicine. 7th ed. Philadelphia (PA): Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2007, p. 38-60.
- Prokopowicz GP, Kern DE. Integrating prevention into ambulatory practice. In Fiebach NH, Kern DE, Thomas PA, Ziegelstein RC, editors. Barker, Burton, and Zieve’s Principles of Ambulatory Medicine. 7th ed. Philadelphia (PA): Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2007, p.211-227.
- Kern DE, Thomas PA. What do leaders need to know about curriculum planning? In Pangaro L, ed. Leadership Careers in Medical Education. Philadelphia: ACP Press, American College of Physicians; 2010. p. 101-127.
- Thomas PA, Kern DE. From curricular goals to instruction: choosing methods of instruction. In: Skeff KM, Stratos GA. Methods for Teaching Medicine. Philadelphia: ACP Press, American College of Physicians; 2010. p. 15-47.
- Barker LR: Educational strategies in ambulatory care. J Med Educ 1978; 53:851-853.
- Barker LR, Starfield B, Gross R, Kern DE, Levine D, Fishelman P: Recognition of information and coordination of ambulatory care by medical residents. Med Care 1989; 27:558.
- Barker LR, Parran T, Kern DE, Cole K. Chemical dependency education in an internal medicine residency program. Substance Abuse 1989; 10:16-18.
- Kern DE, Grayson M, Barker LR, Roca RP, Cole KA, Roter D, Golden A. Residency training in interviewing skills and the psychosocial domain of medical practice. J Gen Intern Med 1989; 4:421-431.
- Barker LR: Curriculum for ambulatory care training in medical residency: rationale, attitudes, and proficiencies. Supplement to J Gen Intern Med 1990; 5(suppl):S3-S14.
- Kern DE, Harris WL, Boekeloo BO, Barker LR, Hogeland P. Use of an outpatient medical record audit to achieve educational objectives: changes in residents' performance over six years. J Gen Intern Med 1990; 5:218-224.
- Lipkin M, Levinson W, Barker LR, Kern DE, Wylie B, Noble J, Wartman S, Delbanco T, et al: Primary care internal medicine: a challenging career choice for 1990's. Ann Intern Med 1990; 112(5):371-378.
- Roter DL, Cole KA, Kern DE, Barker LR, Grayson MA. An evaluation of residency training in interviewing skills and the psychosocial domain of medical practice. J Gen Intern Med 1990; 5:347-354.
- Williamson P, Smith R, Kern DE, Lipkin Jr. M, Barker LR, Hoppe R, Florek J. The medical interview and psychosocial aspects of medicine: residency block curricula. J Gen Intern Med 1992; 7:235-242.
- Jecker NA, Carrese JA, Pearlman RA. Caring for patients in cross-cultural settings. Hastings Center Report. 1995; 25 (1): 6-14.
- Roter, DL, Hall JA, Kern DE, Barker LR, Cole KA, Roca RP. Improving physicians’ interviewing skills and reducing patients’ emotional distress: a randomized clinical trial. Arch Intern Med 1995; 155: 1877-1884.
- Hellman DB, Flynn JA. New ways to teach general internal medicine: the role of ambulatory subspecialty rotations. Trans Am Clin Climatol Assoc. 1996;108:259-267.
- Barker LR: Arrangements that allow general practice trainees to provide longitudinal care for patients. European J Gen Pract 1997; 3:69.
- Bass EB, Fortin AH, Morrison g, Wills S, Mumford LM, Goroll AH. National survey of Clerkship Directors in Internal Medicine on the competencies that should be addressed in the medicine core clerkship. Am J Med. 1997 Jun;102(6):564-71.
- Carrese JA. The challenge of difference: bioethics in a pluralistic society. Journal for Minority Medical Students. 1997; 9(4):48-49.
- Barker LR: CME for European GPs in doctor-patient relationship and psychosocial issues. J Cont Educ Health Prof 1998; 18(1):39-46.
- Carrese JA, Wright SM. Time to teach about ethical issues encountered in managed care. Academic Medicine. 1998; 73(11):12-13.
- Wright SM, Kern DE*, Kolodner K, Howard DM, Brancati FL. Attributes of excellent attending physician role models: a multi-center case-control study. New Engl J Med 1998; 339: 1986-1993.
- Beasley BW, Kern DE, Howard DM, Kolodner K. A job satisfaction measure for internal medicine residency program directors. Acad Med 1999; 74:263-270.
- Hellmann DB, Flynn JA. Development and evaluation of a coordinated, ambulatory rheumatology experience for internal medicine residents. Arthritis Care and Res. 1999;12(5):325-330.
- Sciamanna CN, Ford DE, Flynn JA, Langford C. An evidence-based interactive computer program to assist physicians in counseling smokers to quit. MD Computing. 1999;16(5):54-60.
- Beach MC, Roter DL. Interpersonal expectations in the patient-physician relationship. J Gen Intern Med. 2000 Nov;15(11):825-7.
- Carrese JA, Rhodes LA. Bridging cultural differences in medical practice: the case of discussing negative information with Navajo patients. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2000;15:92-96.
- Carrese JA, Marshall PA. Teaching anthropology in the medical curriculum. American Journal of the Medical Sciences. 2000;319(5):297-305.
- Jablonover RS, Blackman DJ, Bass EB, Morrison G, Goroll AH. Evaluation of a national curriculum reform effort for the medicine core clerkship. J Gen Intern Med. 2000 Jul;15(7):484-91.
- Wright SM, Durbin P, Barker LR: When should the learning end on hospitalized patients? Providing house staff with post-discharge follow-up information. Acad Med 2000; 75(4):380-383.
- Yao DC, Wright SM. National survey of internal medicine residency program directors regarding problem residents. JAMA. 2000; 284: 1099-1104.
- Beasley BW, Kern DE*, Kolodner K. Job turnover and its correlates among residency program directors in internal medicine: a three-year cohort study. Acad Med 2001; 76:1127-35.
- Branch WT Jr., Kern DE, Gracey K, Haidet P, Weissman P, Mitchell G, Inui T, Novak TL. Teaching the human dimensions of care in clinical settings. JAMA. 2001; 286:1067-1074.
- Clever SL, Edwards KA, Feudtner C, Braddock CH 3rd. Ethics and communication: does students' comfort addressing ethical issues vary by specialty team? J Gen Intern Med. 2001 Aug;16(8):559-63.
- Cooper LA, Brown C, Vu HT, Ford DE, Powe NR. How important is intrinsic spirituality in depression care? A comparison of white and African-American primary care patients. J Gen Intern Med. 2001 Sep;16(9):634-8.
- Hebert RS, Jenckes MW, Ford DE, O'Connor DR, Cooper LA. Patient perspectives on spirituality and the patient-physician relationship. J Gen Intern Med. 2001 Oct;16(10):685-92.
- Kern DE, Wright SW, Carrese JA, Lipkin Jr. M, Simmons JM, Novack DH, Kalet A, Frankel R. Personal growth in medical faculty: a qualitative study. Western Journal of Medicine 2001; 175:92-98.
- Kravet SJ, Wright, SW, Carrese JA. Teaching resource and information management using an innovative case- based conference, J Gen Intern Med. 2001; 16 (6): 399-403.
- Wright SM, Carrese JA. Which values do attending-physicians try to pass on to house officers? Medical Education 2001; 35: 941-945.
- Wright SM, Carrese JA. Ethical issues in the managed care setting: A new curriculum for primary care physicians. Medical Teacher. 2001; 23: 71-75.
- Yao DC, Wright SM. The Challenge of problem residents. JGIM. 2001; 16: 486-492.
- Carrese JA, Mullaney JL, Faden RR, Finucane TF. Planning for death but not serious future illness: qualitative study of housebound elderly patients. British Medical Journal, 2002; 325:125-127.
- Clever SL, Tulsky JA. Dreaded conversations: moving beyond discomfort in patient-physician communication. J Gen Intern Med. 2002 Nov;17(11):893-4.
- Gress TW, Flynn JA, Rubin HR, Simonson L, Sisson S, Thompson T, Brancati FL. Effect of student involvement on patient perceptions of ambulatory care visits: a randomized controlled trial. JGIM. 2002;17:420-427.
- Sisson SD. Online instruction: time to grow. J Gen Intern Med. 2002 Jul;17(7):574.
- Wright SW, Carrese JA. Excellence in role modeling: insight and perspectives from the pros. CMAJ; 2002;167:638-44.
- Clever SL, Novack DH, Cohen DG, Levinson W. Evaluating surgeons' informed decision making skills: pilot test using a videoconferenced standardised patient. Med Educ. 2003 Dec;37(12):1094-9.
- Cooper LA, Roter DL, Johnson RL, Ford DE, Steinwachs DM, Powe NR. Patient-centered communication, ratings of care, and concordance of patient and physician race. Ann Intern Med. 2003 Dec 2;139(11):907-15.
- Hebert RS, Levine RB, Smith CG, Wright SM. A systematic review of resident research curricula. Acad Med. 2003; 78: 61-68.
- Houston TK, Sands DZ, Nash BR, Ford DE. Experiences of physicians who frequently use e-mail with patients. Health Commun. 2003;15(4):515-25.
- Levine RB, Hebert RS, Wright SM. The three headed mentor: Rethinking the classical construct. Medical Education. 2003; 37: 486.
- Patt MR, Houston TK, Jenckes MW, Sands DZ, Ford DE. Doctors who are using e-mail with their patients: a qualitative exploration. J Med Internet Res. 2003 Apr-Jun;5(2):e9. Carrese JA. Perkins HS. Ethics consultation in a culturally diverse society. Public Affairs Quarterly. 2003;17(2):97-120.
- Wright SM, Carrese JA. Serving as a physician role model for a diverse population of medical learners. Academic Medicine. 2003; 78: 623-628.
- Beach MC, Cooper LA, Robinson KA, Price EG, Gary TL, Jenckes MW, Gozu A, Smarth C, Palacio A, Feuerstein CJ, Bass EB, Powe NR. Strategies for improving minority healthcare quality. Evid Rep Technol Assess (Summ). 2004 Jan;(90):1-8.
- Clark JM, Houston TK, Kolodner K, Branch Jr WT, Levine R, Kern DE. Teaching the teachers: a national survey of faculty development in departments of medicine of U.S. teaching hospitals. J Gen Intern Med 2004;19:205-214.
- Cole KA, Barker LR, Kolodner K, Williamson P, Wright SM, Kern DE*. Faculty development in teaching skills: an intensive longitudinal model. Acad Med. 2004;79(5):469-80.
- Darer JD, Hwang W, Pham JH, Bass EB, Anderson G. More training needed in chronic care: a survey of US physicians. Acad Med. 2004 Jun;79(6):541-8.
- Fromme EK, Herbert RS, Carrese JA. Self-doctoring: a qualitative study of physicians with cancer. J Fam Pract. 2004 Apr;53(4):299-306.
- Houston TK, Connors RL, Cutler N, Nidiry MA. A primary care musculoskeletal clinic for residents: success and sustainability. J Gen Intern Med. 2004;19:524-529.
- Houston TK, Ferenchick GS, Clark JM, Bowen JL, Branch WT, Alguire P, Esham RH, Clayton CP, Kern DE. Faculty development needs. J Gen Intern Med. 2004 Apr;19(4):375-9.
- Houston TK, Clark JM, Levine RB, Ferenchick GS, Bowen JL, Branch WT Jr., Boulware DW, Alguire P, Esham RH, Clayton CP, Kern DE. Outcomes of a national faculty development program in teaching skills: prospective follow-up of 110 internal medicine faculty development teams. J Gen Intern Med 2004;19(12):1220-1227.
- Johnson RL, Roter D, Powe NR, Cooper LA. Patient race/ethnicity and quality of patient-physician communication during medical visits. Am J Public Health. 2004 Dec;94(12):2084-90.
- Pham HH, Simonson L, Elnicki DM, Fried LP, Goroll AH, Bass EB. Training U.S. medical students to care for the chronically ill. Acad Med. 2004 Jan;79(1):32-40.
- Rastegar DA, Wright SM. Feedback on assessment of risk and risk reduction. Med Educ 2004;38:567-8.
- Sisson SD, Hughes MT, Levine D, Brancati FL. Effect of an Internet-based curriculum on postgraduate education. A multicenter intervention. J Gen Intern Med. 2004 May;19(5 Pt 2):505-9.
- Thomas P, Wright SM, Kern DE. Educational research at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine: a grassroots development. Acad Med. 2004; 79(10):975-80.
- Thomas PA, Kern DE. Internet resources for curriculum development in medical education: an annotated bibliography. J Gen Intern Med 2004; 19(5): 598-604.
- Windish DM, Paulman PM, Goroll AH, Bass EB. Do clerkship directors think medical students are prepared for the clerkship years? Acad Med. 2004 Jan;79(1):56-61.
- Ashar BH, Hughes MT, Marinopoulos SS, Prokopowicz GP, Berkenblit GV, Sisson SD, Simonson LA, Miller RG. Current evidence for the use of emerging radiologic technologies for disease screening. Am J Manag Care. 2005.
- Beach MC, Price EG, Gary TL, Robinson KA, Gozu A, Palacio A, Smarth C. Jenckes MW, Feuerstein C, Bass EB, Powe NR, Cooper LA. Cultural competence: a systematic review of health care provider educational interventions. Med Care. 2005;43:356-73.
- Beach MC, Sugarman J, Johnson RL, Arbelaez JJ, Duggan PS, Cooper LA. Do patients treated with dignity report higher satisfaction, adherence, and receipt of preventive care? Ann Fam Med. 2005 Jul-Aug;3(4):331-8.
- Cosgrove SE, Perl TM, Song X, Sisson SD. Ability of physicians to diagnose and manage illness due to category A bioterrorism agents. Arch Intern Med. 2005 Sep 26;165(17):2002-6.
- Gracey CF, Haidet P, Branch WT, Weissmann P, Kern DE, Mitchell G, Frankel R, Inui T. Precepting humanism: strategies for fostering the human dimensions of care in ambulatory settings. Acad Med 2005;80(1):21-8.
- Kern DE, Branch WT Jr., Jackson JL, Brady DW, Feldman MD, Levinson W, Lipkin M Jr. Teaching the psychosocial aspects of care in the clinical setting: practical recommendation. Acad Med 2005;80(1):8-20.
- Knight AM, Cole KA, Kern DE, Barker LR, Koldner K, Wright SM. Long-term follow-up of a longitudinal faculty development program in teaching skills. J Gen Intern Med. 2005:721-725.
- Knight AM, Kravet SJ, Harper GM, Leff B. The effect of computerized provider order entry on medical student clerkship experiences. class="jrnl"J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2005; 12: 554–560.
- Levine RB, Hebert RS, Wright SM. Resident research and scholarly activity in internal medicine residency training programs. J Gen Intern Med. 2005; 20:155-159.
- Levine RB, Hebert RS, Wright SM. Factors associated with program citation for lack of scholarly activity in internal medicine residencies. Teach Learn Med. 2005;17:328-31.
- Price E, Gozu A, Powe NR, Kern DE, Wand GS, Cooper LA. The role of cultural diversity climate in recruitment, promotion and retention of faculty in academic medicine. J Gen Intern Med. 2005;20:565-71.
- Price EG, Beach MC, Gary TL, Robinson KA, Gozu A, Palacio A, Smarth C, Jenckes M, Feuerstein C, Bass EB, Powe NR, Cooper LA. A systematic review of the methodological rigor of studies evaluating cultural competence training of health professionals. Acad Med. 2005 Jun;80(6):578-86.
- Ratanawongsa N, Kern DE, Barker LR. Promoting humanistic care in the housestaff continuity clinic. Med Educ 2005;39:1165-1166.
- Reed D, Price EG, Windish DM, Wright SM, Gozu A, Hsu EB, Beach MC, Kern DE, Bass EB. Challenges in systematic reviews of educational intervention studies. Ann Intern Med. 2005;142:1080-1089.
- Reed D, Kern DE, Levine RB, Wright SM. Costs and funding for published medical education research. JAMA 2005;294:1052-1057.
- Rivera J, Levine RB, Wright SM. Completing a scholarly project during residency. Perspectives of residents who have been successful. J Gen Intern Med. 2005;20:366-9.
- Wright SM, Hellmann DB, Ziegelstein RC. 52 precepts that medical trainees and physicians should consider regularly. Am J Med. 2005 Apr;118(4):435-8.
- Beach MC, Inui T; Relationship-Centered Care Research Network. Relationship-centered care. A constructive reframing. J Gen Intern Med. 2006 Jan;21 Suppl 1:S3-8.
- Beach MC, Gary TL, Price EG, Robinson K, Gozu A, Palacio A, Smarth C, Jenckes M, Feuerstein C, Bass EB, Powe NR, Cooper LA. Improving health care quality for racial/ethnic minorities: a systematic review of the best evidence regarding provider and organization interventions. BMC Public Health. 2006 Apr 24;6:104.
- Beach MC, Keruly J, Moore RD. Is the quality of the patient-provider relationship associated with better adherence and health outcomes for patients with HIV? J Gen Intern Med. 2006 Jun;21(6):661-5.
- Beach MC, Roter DL, Wang NY, Duggan PS, Cooper LA. Are physicians' attitudes of respect accurately perceived by patients and associated with more positive communication behaviors? Patient Educ Couns. 2006 Sep;62(3):347-54. Epub 2006 Jul 21.
- Beasley BW, Simon SD, Wright SM. A time to be promoted: The prospective study of promotion in Academia (PSPA). J Gen Intern Med 2006;21:123-129.
- Bekelman DB, Carrese JA. A practical 3-step model for managing treatment refusal. J Fam Pract 2006;55(5):403-407.
- Bowen JL, Clarke JM, Clayton CP, Houston TK, Levine R, Branch WT Jr, Alguire P, Esham R, Boulware D, Ferenchick G, Kern DE. A national collaboration to disseminate skills for outpatient teaching in internal medicine: program description and preliminary evaluation. Acad Med 2006; 81:193-202.
- Carrese JA, Sugarman J. The inescapable relevance of bioethics for the practicing clinician. Chest 2006;130:1864-1872.
- Carrese JA. But doctor, I want to go home: refusal of care: patients’ well-being and physicians’ ethical obligations. JAMA 2006;296:691-695.
- Clever SL, Ford DE, Rubenstein LV, Rost KM, Meredith LS, Sherbourne CD, Wang NY, Arbelaez JJ, Cooper LA. Primary care patients' involvement in decision-making is associated with improvement in depression. Med Care. 2006 May;44(5):398-405.
- Cooper LA, Beach MC, Johnson RL, Inui TS. Delving below the surface. Understanding how race and ethnicity influence relationships in health care. J Gen Intern Med. 2006 Jan;21 Suppl 1:S21-7.
- Fingerhood MI, Rastegar DA, Jasinski DR. Five year outcomes of a cohort of HIV-infected injection drug users in a primary care practice. J Addict Dis 2006;25:33-38.
- Kravet S, Howell E, Wright SM. Morbidity and mortality conference, grand rounds, and the ACGME’s core competencies: J Gen Int Med 2006;21:1192-4.
- Levine RB, Haidet P, Kern DE, Beasley BW, Bensinger L, Brady DW, Gress TW, Hughes J, Marwaha A, Nelson J, Wright SM. Personal growth during internship: a qualitative analysis of interns’ responses to key questions. J Gen Intern Med. 2006;21(6):564-569.
- Levine RB, Mechaber H. Opting-in. Part-time careers in academic medicine. Am J Med. 2006 May;119(5):450-3.
- Menachery EP, Knight AM, Kolodner K, Wright SM. Physician characteristics associated with proficiency in feedback skills. J Gen Intern Med 2006;21:440-446.
- Ratanawongsa N, Bolen S, Howell EE, Kern DE, Sisson SD, Larriviere D. Residents’ perceptions of professionalism in training and practice: barriers, promoters, and duty hour requirements. J Gen Intern Med 2006;21(7):758-763.
- Ratanawongsa N, Howell EE, Wright SM. What motivates physicians throughout their careers in medicine? Compr Ther.2006;32(4):210-217.
- Sisson S, Rastegar D, Rice T, Pokopowicz G, Hughes MT. Phhysician familiarty with diagnosis and management of hypertension according to JNC 7 guidelines. J Clin Hyper 2006;8:344-350.
- Walrath J, Muganlinskaya N, Makary M, Shepherd M, Reuland C, Awad M, Kravet SJ. Interdisciplinary medical, nursing, and administrator education in practice: the Johns Hopkins experience. Acad Med 2006;81(8):744-8.
- Wright SM, Levine RB , Beasley BW, Haidet P, Gress TW, Caccamese S, Brady D, Marwaha A, Kern DE. Personal growth and its correlates during residency training. Med Educ. 2006;40(8):737-745.
- Ashar B, Levine R, Magaziner J, Shochet R, Wright S. An association between paying physician-teachers for their teaching efforts and an improved education experience for the learners. J Gen Intern Med 2007;22:1391-1397.
- Ashar BH, Rice TN, Sisson SD. Residents' knowledge of dietary supplements. Southern Medical Journal. 2008; 101: 996-1000.
- Beach MC, Duggan PS, Cassel CK, Geller G. What does 'respect' mean? Exploring the moral obligation of health professionals to respect patients. J Gen Intern Med. 2007 May;22(5):692-5.
- Beach MC, Duggan PS, Moore RD. Is patients' preferred involvement in health decisions related to outcomes for patients with HIV? J Gen Intern Med. 2007 Aug;22(8):1119-24. Epub 2007 May 19.
- Beach MC, Rosner M, Cooper LA, Duggan PS, Shatzer J. Can patient-centered attitudes reduce racial and ethnic disparities in care? Acad Med. 2007 Feb;82(2):193-8.
- Bennett W, Wright SM, Kravet SJ. A resident’s reflections on becoming a curricular change agent. Med Educ 2007;41(1):2-5.
- Boonyasai RT, Windish DM, Chakraborti C, Feldman LS, Rubin HR, Bass EB. Effectiveness of teaching quality improvement to clinicians: a systematic review. JAMA. 2007;298;1023-1037.
- Gozu A, Beach MC, Price EG, Gary TL, Robinson K, Palacio A, Smarth C, Jenckes M, Feuerstein C, Bass EB, Powe NR, Cooper LA. Self-administered instruments to measure cultural competence of health professionals: a systematic review. Teach Learn Med. 2007 Spring;19(2):180-90.
- Hayashi JL, Phillips KA, Arbaje A, Sridharan A, Gajadhar R, Sisson SD. A curriculum to teach internal medicine residents to perform house calls for older adults. J Am Geratr soc 2007;55:1287-1294.
- Knight A, Carrese JA, Wright SM. Qualitative assessment of the long-term impact of a faculty development program in teaching skills. Med Educ 2007;41:592-600.
- Levine RB, Kern DE, Wright SM. The impact of prompted narrative writing during internship on reflective practice: a qualitative study. Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract 2007; Sep 21.
- Reed DA, Levine RB, Miller RG, Ashar BH, Bass EB, Rice TN, Cofrancesco J Jr. Effect of residency duty-hour limits: views of key clinical faculty. Arch Intern Med. 2007 Jul 23;167(14):148-92.
- Reed DA, Cook DA, Beckman TJ, Levine RB, Kern DE, Wright SM. Association between funding and quality of published medical education research. JAMA. 2007;298:1002-1009.
- Sisson SD, Rastegar DA, Rice TN, Hughes MT. Multicenter implementation of a shared graduate medical education resource. Arch Intern Med. 2007; 167: 2476-80.
- Sisson SD, Boonyasi R, Baker-Genaw K, Silverstein J. Continuity clinic satisfaction and valuation in residency training. J Gen Intern Med. 2007; 22: 1704-10.
- Stewart R, Barker A, Shochet R, Wright SM. The new and improved learning community at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine resembles that at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Med Teach.2007;29(4):353-7.
- Windish DM, Gozu A, Bass EB, Thomas PA, Sisson SD, Howard DM, Kern DE. A ten-month program in curriculum development for medical educators: 16 years of experience. J Gen Intern Med 2007;22:655-61.
- Ashar BH, Miller RG, Pichard CP, Levine R, Wright SM. Patients’ understanding of the regulation of dietary supplements. Journal of Community Health. 2008; 33: 22-30.
- Boult C, Christmas C, Durso SC, Leff B, Boult LB, Fried LP. Perspective: transforming chronic care for older persons. Acad Med. 2008 Jul;83(7):627-31.
- Carrese JA, Ibrahim MA. Success, regret and the struggle for balance. Ann Fam Med. 2008 Mar-Apr;6(2):171-2.
- Chakraborti C, Boonyasai RT, Wright SM, Kern DE. A systematic review of teamwork training interventions in medical student and resident education: a systematic review. J Gen Intern Med. 2008; 23(6): 846-853.
- Christmas C, Kravet S, Wright S, Durso S. Clinical excellence in academia: Perspectives from masterful academic clinicians. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. September 2008. 83(9): 989-994.
- Christmas C, Park E, Schmaltz H, Gozu A, Durso SC. A model intensive course in geriatric teaching for non-geriatrician educators. J Gen Intern Med. 2008 Jul;23(7):1048-52.
- Dy S, Hughes M, Weiss C, Sisson SD. Evaluation of a web-based palliative care pain management module for housestaff. J Pain Symptom Management. 2008; 36: 596-603.
- Geller G, Bernhardt BA, Rushton CH, Carrese J, Kolodner K. What do clinicians derive from partnering with patients?: a reliable and valid measure of “personal meaning in patient care”. Patient Educ Couns. 2008;72:293–300.
- Gozu A, Windish DM, Knight AM, Thomas PA, Kolodner K, Bass EB, Sisson SD, Kern DE. Long-term follow up of a ten-month program in curriculum development for medical educators: a cohort study. Med Educ. 2008 Jul;42(7):684-92.
- Howell E, Bessman E, Kravet S, Kolodner K, Marshall R, Wright SM. Hospitalist bed management effecting ambulance diversion and emergency department throughput. Ann Int Med.2008;149:804-810.
- Howell E, Kravet S, Kisuule F, Wright SM. An innovative approach to support hospitalist physicians towards academic success. J Hosp Medicine. 2008;3: 314-318.
- Kravet SJ, Shore AD, Miller, R, Green GB, Kolodner K, Wright SM. Healthcare utilization and the proportion of primary care physicians. Am J Med. 2008; 121(2) 142-148.
- Kravet Sj, Jones H, Howell EE, Wright S. Pilot study comparing patients’ valuation of healthcare services with Medicare’s relative value units. Health Expect. 2008 Dec;11(4):391-9.
- Levine RB, Kern DE, Wright SM. The impact of prompted narrative writing during internship on reflective practice: a qualitative study. Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract. 2008;13(5):723-33.
- Levine RB, Harrison RA, Mechaber HF, Phillips C, Gallagher TH. Professional characteristics and job satisfaction among SGIM members: a comparison of part-time and full-time physician members. J Gen Intern Med. 2008. Aug;23(8):1218-21.
- Mechaber HF, Levine RB, Bailer Manwell L, Mundt MP, Linzer M. MEMO investigators. Part-time physicians…prevalent, connected, and satisfied. J Gen Intern Med. 2008 Mar 23; (3):300-3.
- Menachery E, Wright SM, Howell E, Knight A. Physician-teacher characteristics associated with learner-centered teaching skills. Medical Teacher.2008:30:e137-144.
- Paez KA, Allen JK, Carson KA, Cooper LA. Provider and clinic cultural competence in a primary care setting. Soc Sci Med. 2008 Mar;66(5):1204-16. Epub 2007 Dec 27.
- Ratanawongsa N, Roter D, Beach MC, Laird SL, Larson SM, Carson KA, Cooper LA. Physician burnout and patient-physician communication during primary care encounters. J Gen Intern Med. 2008 Oct;23(10):1581-8. Epub 2008 Jul 10.
- Reed D, Windish DM, Kravet SJ, Levine RB, Wolfe L, Wright SM. Do concerns about malpractice litigation influence physicians’ teaching behaviors? Teach Learn Med. 2008 Jul-Sep;20(3):205-11.
- Reed DA, Levine RB, Miller RG, Ashar BH, Bass EB, Rice T, Cofrancesco J Jr. Impact of duty hour regulations on medical students’ education: views of key clinical faculty. J Gen Intern Med. 2008 Jul;23(7):1084-9.
- Reed DA, Beckman TJ, Wright SM, Levine RB, Kern DE, Cook DA. Predictive validity evidence for Medical Education Research Study Quality Instrument scores: quality of submissions to JGIM's medical education supplement. J Gen Intern Med. 2008; 23: 903-7.
- Street RL Jr, O'Malley KJ, Cooper LA, Haidet P. Understanding concordance in patient-physician relationships: personal and ethnic dimensions of shared identity. Ann Fam Med. 2008 May-Jun;6(3):198-205.
- Saha S, Beach MC, Cooper LA. Patient centeredness, cultural competence and healthcare quality. J Natl Med Assoc. 2008 Nov;100(11):1275-85.
- Tilburt JC, Mangrulkar RS, Goold SD, Siddiqui NY, Carrese JA. Do we practice what we preach?: a qualitative assessment of resident-preceptor interactions for adherence to evidence-based practice. J Eval Clin Pract. 2008; 14 (5):780-784.
- Christmas C, Ziegelstein RC. The seventh competency. Teach Learn Med. 2009 Apr-Jun;21(2):159-62.
- Dedhia P, Kravet S, Bulger J, Hinson T, Sridharan A, Kolodner K, Wright SM, Howell E. A quality improvement intervention to facilitate the transition of older adults from three hospitals back to their homes. J Am Ger Soc. 2009; 57:1540-6.
- Durso SC, Christmas C, Kravet SJ, Parsons G, Wright SM. Implication’s of academic medicine’s failure to recognize clinical excellence. Clin Med Res. November 2009. 7(4): 127-133.
- Gozu A, Kern DE, Wright SM. Similarities and differences between International Medical Graduates and US Medical Graduates at six Maryland community-based Internal Medicine residency training programs. Acad Med. 2009 Mar;84(3):385-90.
- Holley A, Kravet S, Cordts G. Documentation of code status and discussion of goals of care in gravely ill hospitalize patients. J Crit Care. 2009 Jun;24(2):288-92. Epub 2008 May 14.
- Hanyok LA, Mullaney J, Finucane T, Carrese JA. Potential caregivers for homebound elderly: more numerous than supposed? J. Fam Prac. 2009; 58(7):E1-6.
- Hayashi J, Christmas C. House calls and the ACGME competencies. Teach Learn Med. 2009 Apr-Jun;21(2):140-7.
- Huq F, Park E, Cayea D, Butteri M, Tan E, Burton J, Wright SM, Durso C. What academic internal medicine subspecialists identify as important geriatric learning needs for residents: J Am Ger Soc. 2009;57: 1961-2.
- Kantsiper ME, Ratanawongsa N, Wright SM, Smith C, Levine RB. Professional satisfaction for hospitalists: What interested medical students and residents should know about a career in hospital medicine. Hospital Physician. 2009;45:23.
- Moon M, Hughes MT, McDonald EL, Taylor HA, Carrese JA. “Everyday Ethics Issues in the Outpatient Clinical Practice of Pediatric Residents”. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2009;163(9):838-843.
- Paez KA, Allen JK, Beach MC, Carson KA, Cooper LA. Physician cultural competence and patient ratings of the patient-physician relationship. J Gen Intern Med. 2009 Apr;24(4):495-8. Epub 2009 Feb 5.
- Price EG, Powe NR, Kern DE, Golden SH, Wand GS, Cooper LA. Improving the diversity climate in academic medicine: faculty perceptions as a catalyst for institutional change. Acad Med. 2009 Jan;84(1):95-105.
- Pololi L, Kern DE, Carr P, Conrad P, Knight S. The culture of academic medicine: faculty perceptions of the lack of alignment between individual and institutional values. J Gen Intern Med. 2009;24(12):1289–95.
- Ratanawongsa N, Rand CS, Magill CF, Hayashi J, Brandt L, Christmas C, Record JD, Howell EE, Federowicz MA, Hellmann DB, Ziegelstein RC. Teaching residents to know their patients as individuals. The Aliki Initiative at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center. Pharos Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Med Soc. 2009 Summer;72(3):4-11.
- Soong C, Fan E, Howell E, Maloney R, Pronovost PJ, Wilton D, Wright SM. Characteristics of hospitalists and hospitalist programs in the United States and Canada. J Clin Outcomes Mgmt. 2009;16:69-74.
- Taylor HA, McDonald EL, Moon M, Hughes MT, Carrese JA. Teaching ethics to pediatric residents: The centrality of the therapeutic alliance. Med Educ. 2009: 43: 952–959.
- Wright R, Kisuule F, Howell E, Hess R, Wright SM, Minter J. A case-based teaching module combined with audit and feedback to improve the quality of consultations. J Hosp Med. 2009 Oct;4(8):486-9.
- Beach MC, Saha S, Korthuis PT, Sharp V, Cohn J, Wilson I, Eggly S, Cooper LA, Roter D, Sankar A, Moore R. Differences in patient-provider communication for Hispanic compared to non-Hispanic white patients in HIV care. J Gen Intern Med. 2010 Jul;25(7):682-7. Epub 2010 Mar 18.
- Bicket M, Misra S, Wright SM, Shochet R. Medical student engagement and leadership within a new learning community. BMC Med Educ. 2010 Feb 26;10:20.
- Bleich SN, Pickett-Blakely O, Cooper LA. Physician practice patterns of obesity diagnosis and weight-related counseling. Patient Educ Couns. 2011 Jan;82(1):123-9. Epub 2010 Mar 19.
- Ho MJ, Yao G, Lee KL, Hwang TJ, Beach MC. Long-term effectiveness of patient-centered training in cultural competence: what is retained? What is lost? Acad Med. 2010 Apr;85(4):660-4.
- Levine RB, Mechaber HF, Bass E, Wright SM. The impact of working part-time on measures of academic productivity among general internists. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2010 Nov;19(11):1995-2000. Epub 2010 Sep 14.
- Jacobs EA, Beach MC, Saha S. What matters in health disparities education--changing hearts or minds? class="jrnl"J Gen Intern Med class="src1". 2010 May;25 Suppl 2:S198-9.
- Levine RB, Cayea D, Shochet RB, Wright SM. Case Study: A mid-clerkship crisis: lessons learned from advising a medical student with career indecision. Acad Med 2010;85:654-659.
- Murinson B, Klick B, Haythornthwaite JA, Shochet R, Levine RB, Wright SM. Formative experiences of emerging physicians: Gauging the impact of events that occur during medical school. Acad Med. 2010 Aug;85(8):1331-7.
- Pololi L, Cooper LA, Carr P. Race, disadvantage and faculty experiences in academic medicine. J Gen Intern Med. 2010 Dec;25(12):1363-9. Epub 2010 Aug 10.
- Saha S, Jacobs EA, Moore RD, Beach MC. Trust in physicians and racial disparities in HIV care. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2010 Jul;24(7):415-20.
- Shochet RB, Cayea D, Levine RB, Wright SM. Using medical student case presentations to help faculty learn to be better advisors. Acad Med 2010;85:578-579.
- Sisson SD, Hill-Briggs F, Levine D. Using education theory to improve medical education website design. BMC Med Educ. 2010; 10:30.
- Soong C, Wright SM, Howell E. Physician leadership skills: Perspectives from participants of a leadership conference. J Hosp Med. 2010 Mar;5(3):E1-4.
- Wright SM, Kravet S, Christmas C, Burkhart K, Durso SC. Creating an academy of clinical excellence at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center: a 3-year experience. Acad Med. 2010 Dec;85(12):1833-9.
- Bennett WL, Ennen C, Carrese JA, Hill-Briggs F, Levine DM, Nicholson WK, Clark JM. Barriers to and facilitators of postpartum follow up care in women with recent gestational diabetes mellitus: A qualitative study. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2011 Jan 25.
- Adackapara C, Ratanawongsa N, Wright SM, Levine RB. Location matters: The impact of clinical setting on personal growth during residency training. Seminars in Medical Practice. Accepted for publication.
- Carrese J, McDonald EL, Moon M, Taylor H, Khaira K, Beach MC, Hughes MT. Everyday ethics in internal medicine resident clinic: an opportunity to teach. Med Educ. Accepted for publication.
- Eberlein M, Chahla M, Wright SM. The effect of providing a USB syllabus on resident reading of landmark articles. Med Educ Online. Accepted for publication.
- Howe E, Kisuule F, Hess R, Wright SM. Addressing obesity in the inpatient setting: A needs assessment. S Med J. Accepted for publication.
- Howell E, Bessman E, Marshall R, Wright SM. Hospital bed management effecting throughput from the emergency department to the intensive care unit. Journal of Critical Care. Accepted for publication.
- Rastegar DA, Bertram A, Sisson SD. Use of an internet-based curriculum to teach internal medicine residents about addiction. Jour Addiction Medicine. 2010; in press.
- Sisson SD, Dalal D. Internal medicine residency training on topics in ambulatory care: A status report. Am Jour Med. In press.